Perfect for Thanksgiving dessert!
- 8 ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 recipe Harvest Fruit*
- 2/3 cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping
- 1 unpeeled pear
- 1 cooking apple
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans.
2. In an extra-large bowl combine sour cream, water, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a large wire whisk, whisk until well combined. Add flour, cocoa powder, black pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves; whisk vigorously until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
4. Finely chop chocolate. In saucepan over medium-high heat bring whipping cream to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth. Cool to room temperature; chill until a spreadable, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare Harvest Fruit.
5. To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 of chocolate cream mixture. Top with the second layer. Arrange fruit in a single layer on top of cake. Pour caramel over top of fruit. Serve immediately. (Cake does not store well after fruit is added.) Makes 12 servings.For the Harvest Fruit:
Thinly slice pear lengthwise and apple horizontally. In medium saucepan combine apple juice and sugar; bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Add sliced fruit and dried cranberries; return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Strain and discard liquid. Cool to room temperature.More info here!